Monday, November 16, 2015

Book Review: The Real Doctor Will See You Shortly: A Physician's First Year


Matt McCarthy

Blurb:

In medical school, Matt McCarthy dreamed of being a different kind of doctor—the sort of mythical, unflappable physician who could reach unreachable patients. But when a new admission to the critical care unit almost died his first night on call, he found himself scrambling. Visions of mastery quickly gave way to hopes of simply surviving hospital life, where confidence was hard to come by and no amount of med school training could dispel the terror of facing actual patients.

Overall:

I picked up this book because I love reading about health and all things medical. However I did not finish this book because I did get bored halfway in. I'm not saying this is a bad book in any way it was just not interesting to me. The book is well written and shows the very knowledgeable background that the author has. I'm sure other medical students would understand it better than a lay person.

The Bad:

I found the first few chapters alright however I found myself getting bored easily. It may have been all the extra details I didn't care much about but I couldn't find it in myself to finish it. 

The Good:

The overall account of an intern and the process of a student becoming a master at his art is interesting. I do feel that this book is very insightful and many people will appreciate the knowledge it gives readers. I like that the author did put a lot of extra details in it however to me it wasn't at all what I would have wanted. In a way it is understandable, a lot of other readers might truly appreciate this book more than me. I originally picked this book up without really looking at the description. 

2 stars: It was OK
[Did not finish]
Recommend:
For readers who DO have and want a behind the scene look at the training of their doctors.
Have some knowledge of health and medical terms.


No comments:

Post a Comment